Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Foundry 2nd Saturday - November 2014

The Foundry



Let me tell you about my day here and at the end of this blog, it doesn't inspire you to check it out, then you and I should get a cup of coffee and we can talk about it, because you know I will! HAHA!

The Foundry holds a 2nd Saturday open house / marketplace for small business owners. On this day you can meet some of the residents business owners, work on a small projects that are fun and the residents can show how things are made. You can also get all of the info on upcoming events like meetups, classes and demonstrations. Also, anyone can rent out the space based on availability. Amazing!

So, I bring my Emma and Nick (10 and 12) and we get there around 12:15. I know its busy because I had to park almost at Jefferson on Northhampton. As we approached the door we were greeted almost immediately by 2 residents, Kevin Hayes and Sarah Fonzi. Kevin is the main guy that runs the location and Sarah runs the metal working shop. Two wonderful people who are making an impact with their small business. Kevin also runs a nice coffee roasting business, and let me tell you its my favorite coffee ever. I crave it actually! So I get a cup of coffee and turn around and this is what I see!



Vendors everywhere!!!! So we walk through and Emma got earrings, and I got a neat set of drink coasters with comic book excerpts emblazoned on each, so cool. There is a wonderful cook, who makes a beef and cheese pod that is so delicious that I usually get two! I wandered into the Buffalo Lab, which is a Maker Space, a community workshop and social/educational venue. 3D Printers and circuit boards and more. The lab actually was holding a board meeting at the time. Great organizing going on here. Emma and I met Matt and Mike Dawidowicz two of the organizers of the Lab and there is a bunch of great stuff going on. 

So we get to the back side of the building where the wood and metal shops are. Every tool for cutting metal and wood possible for any project, from fixing to creating something new. The ladies that run them are amazing.  Sarah who we mentioned earlier and Megan McNally. Both very welcoming and helpful and Sarah let us create our own ornaments which you can see below! Thank you Sarah!




Meanwhile my son Nick met 2 neighborhood boys Jay and Mike and they played indoor soccer all over the place. Nick said he had so much fun and when we had to get going, he was bummed to have to leave this fun place, and so was I. Both Emma and Nick said this was a very nice place and that they felt at home here. That warmed my heart, deeply. 

Plain and simple is so well done here, it feels like luxury. That's why I love this place.

NOW! If you read this far, then I hope you go and check it out, and if you do, tell Kevin, I sent you!!




No comments:

Post a Comment